SMART PETS MAKE US LAUGH

I thought it was time to lighten up. So I went looking for videos of smart pets that make us laugh. Not ones that are just acting funny, slightly clumsy, and kind of silly. But ones that are really, really smart! After all, this is the start of a brand new year and not everyone should be serious and sad. So I’m dishing out a dose of pet humor so we can sit back and relax for a few minutes.

In case you hadn’t already realized it, your companion animal is probably smarter than you thought. In fact, it could be as gifted as your two-year-old child or grandchild. And, if you have the patience and are a dedicated teacher, your dogs and cats may be able to learn quite a bit of stuff…like this. 

Take a look and see how these three very smart pets can make us laugh and laugh. Enjoy!

Two Smart Cats Say “We Love This Game!”

These two cats have learned what it takes to get a treat. You hardly ever see these counter top bells anymore at a store. But you do on a television quiz program. Furball and Fluffy know exactly how hard to hit the knob and that they have to retract their paw after making the strike. I hope their pet parent knows when to stop playing this game. If not, they’re soon going to have a pair of very fat cats!

 One Smart Dog Says “Stop Ruining My Day!”

Pit Bulls, a/k/a Pitties, are sweet-natured, caring, loyal and highly intelligent. They are so gentle and protective of children that they are often called The Nanny Dog. And there are those that are talented in other ways. They are being increasingly trained to work with law enforcement and other government agencies to keep us safe. So, it’s hardly surprising that this guy has figured out exactly how to stop this annoying gadget dead in its path!          

Together, let’s keep our precious pets healthy, happy and safe!  

RAWHIDE BONES SAFETY WARNING

A dramatic illustration like this shows why pet parents must heed this rawhide bones safety warning
These basic manufacturing steps illustrate why a rawhide bones safety warning is necessary. Courtesy of Rodney Habib

Dogs love them yet a rawhide bones safety warning is absolutely necessary. Why? Because nearly all the brands you see online and on the shelves of your favorite pet supply store are constructed with hide from dubious sources and full of toxic chemicals that are used in their manufacturing process. In fact, they have to be among the worst “entertainment” items ever created for dogs.

Rawhide Isn’t Really Raw

This kind of rawhide is more like leather because it goes through many of the same processing steps that are used to make shoes, handbags and a host of other items. 

How Rawhide Dog Bones And Chews Are Manufactured

Here is what happens.

* The hides are soaked in a highly concentrated salt solution to kill any protein-destroying organisms.

* Then they are treated with either an ash-lyme solution or sodium sulphide liming to strip off any hair or fat.

* Next, more chemicals are applied to separate the different layers, since only the inner most ones are used for the chews.

* The hide is then bleached white.

* A chemical preservative is applied so the hide doesn’t spoil.

* A coloring agent is applied.

* The leather is then cut, rolled and glued into the desired shape, packaged and shipped out.

What The Experts Tell Us

“Rawhide is the most dangerous pet chew ever. More dogs have died from rawhide treats than almost any other form of dog treats or food.” 

Rodney Habib, Canadian activist and founder of Planet Paws. 

“As the rawhide is chewed and turns soft and gooey, and the knots at each end get undone, it has become a choking and intestinal obstruction hazard.”

Dr. Karen Becker, holistic veterinarian.

To help prevent choking, intestinal obstruction and death, we need more rawhide bones safety warning posters like this.
A rawhide bones safety warning like this helps prevent choking, intestinal obstruction and death.
Courtesy of Mornington Peninsula Dog Lovers

Some Scary And Very Sad Stories

Like so many others, the people mentioned here hadn’t received a rawhide bones safety warning.

Teddy almost choked on one, it had completely unraveled and was down his throat.Thank God we were home and in the same room.” Tracey Schofield

Years ago, my Jack Russell was choking on a rawhide, but luckily I was able to put my finger down his throat and got it out. I don’t know why the stores keep selling rawhides.” Celine Ostendorf

After swallowing some pieces of rawhide, mine died in surgery, so sad.” Sylvie Haustete

“One of my ‘students’ had an obstruction. When I asked when the pup would be in for its 2nd level of training, I was told that, sadly, the little one had died due to blockage in the intestines.” Wendy Roberson (dog trainer)

I had a pedigree German Shepherd that ate some rawhide and died in my jeep before I could reach the vet! There was nothing I could do. His stomach was all swollen and twisted by the obstruction.” Mercedes López-Roberson

To Sum Up

These testimonials speak for themselves. Besides, there are other ways, much safer ways, to provide enrichment for your beloved pets.

Together, let’s keep our precious pets healthy, happy and safe!