Moving to a new home is a stressful experience for humans and their companion animals. It requires a lot of advance planning and preparation to help make the transition as smooth as possible.
Sometimes pet parents are so wrapped up in dealing with their own needs (new job, new school, and everything else) that they completely forget to consider what is going through the mind of an animal. They are often insensitive to the fact that an animal instinctively knows something is up and will feel confused and apprehensive and insecure.
HOW PLANNING AND AFFECTION HELP PETS AND PET PARENTS PACK AND UNPACK
The Packing Stage
1. While you pack furniture and personal belongings, leave your pet’s items till last.
2. As far as possible, maintain your pet’s daily routine for waking, feeding, exercise, human interaction and rest.
3. Reassure them with love, petting and play. Do not exclude them from your life just because you are busier than normal.
4. Make a check list of all pet items needed for the journey. Identify and load packed pet items last so they are unpacked first when you reach your destination.
5. On moving day, keep your pets contained in a safe place so they do not run out of the home and go missing.
1. When you arrive at your new home, contain your pets in a safe place with their most essential items while you start to unpack and organize.
2. Do not let them roam around freely. Instead, confine them to a small area and gradually allow them to explore the rest of the home so they can adjust slowly and not become overwhelmed.
3. Aim to reestablish your pet’s daily routine and be attentive to any signs of anxiety.
4. Interact with your pet as much as possible to reassure him he is still loved.
5. Slowly introduce your dog to the neighborhood as you establish an atmosphere of normalcy.
Your New Home, Sweet Home
Being cautious and thoughtful will help make any moving experience as stress-free as possible for the entire family. And, for pets, take it slow. They will adapt and cope much better and enjoy their new home environment much quicker.
Together, let’s keep our precious pets healthy, happy and safe!